Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Is Social Media Ruining Our Minds?


Is social media making those who use it less intelligent? Does it make us socially awkward? Does it contribute to people’s inability to focus? I’ve begun to ask myself this question and I’ve realized that I (including those around me) am actually exhibiting negative affects of social media through changes in my multitasking skills, social interactions and the ability to focus. For example, my attention span has clearly been significantly lowered throughout the years because of social media. Apparently, the average attention span ten years ago was 12 minutes, while now it averages at 5 minutes. The fact that the average attention span has been shortened is definitely possible. Many times during class or any other time students are required to focus, they find themselves drifting towards wanting to check their Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. Is it because they are addicted to social media or is it because they are simply bored? Take a look at How Social Media is Ruining Our Minds and analyze the various affects. Do these negative effects of social media apply to you and your friends or are they simply false implications? 

No comments:

Post a Comment